Last updated: Sep 2020
Thank you for placing your trust and confidence in China National GeneBank DataBase (CNGBdb). As a third-party platform providing scientific services to global users, when you interact with our website (https://db.cngb.org/ ) or use our services, we collect and process your personal information in accordance with the principles of lawfulness, legitimacy and necessity. We outline in our Privacy and Security Policy (hereinafter referred to as “Policy” ) in this page how CNGBdb collects, protects, uses your personal information, and what your rights are. This Policy applies to all services provided by CNGBdb.
Please read this "Privacy and Security Policy" carefully before registration and use of our website and make sure you understand it. By using or accessing our content and services, you acknowledge that you accept the practices and policies outlined in our "Privacy and Security Policy" and agree to be bound by our "Terms and Conditions" which incorporates this Policy, be subject to user agreements of related external databases, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations, ethical principles, scientific research specifications and other requirements.
If you do not agree to the "Terms and Conditions" and / or the "Privacy and Security Policy", please do not access or otherwise use any of our services.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Your Visit to the CNGBdb Website
2. What Type of Personal Information CNGBdb Collects
3. How CNGBdb Uses Your Personal Information
4. How CNGBdb Protects Your Personal Information
5. CNGBdb Dose Not Publicly Disclose Your Personal Information
7. Your Rights
8. How Your Personal Information is Geographically Stored
9. How CNGBdb Processes Personal Information of Minors
10. Visit CNGBdb via Third-Party Websites
11. Visit Third-Party Websites via CNGBdb
12. How We Update This Policy
13. Contact Us
When you visit the CNGBdb websites, we promise to make reasonable efforts to protect your personal information. We do not collect any personally identifiable information (PII) about you, unless you explicitly provide it to us.
CNGBdb collects and stores your personal information from your Interaction with CNGBdb platform. Interaction includes, but not limited to, log in or register an account on CNGBdb, fill in the submitter and applicant information form when using the data archiving service.
According to the services you use, we mainly collect 4 types of personal information:
1. We will use the personal information (such as name of the submitting party, organization, email, telephone, etc.) from basic personal information, personal work information and personal education & work information to provide data services or develop new functions for you, including:
1) Create CNGBdb account;
2) Fulfill user's data service request (including but not limited to: data archiving service, controlled data download application, data calculation and analysis service, etc.);
3) CNGBdb users satisfaction survey;
4) Send you version update and notification email;
5) Check the errors when you agree to send the error details to CNGBdb;
6) Reply to the inquiry request sent by the user;
7) User profiling for product iteration;
8) Statistical analysis of organization supported by CNGBdb Services.
2. Personal internet access records will be used for the following purposes:
1) Provide you personalized content and personalized user experience;
2) Conduct data analysis to improve existing services;
3) Analysis of operation efficiency;
4) Check if users follow the terms of service.
1. CNGBdb has obtained certification of ISO27001 and level III of Classified Protection of Cybersecurity, and will take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information according to their technical requirements.
2. CNGBdb has used industry-standard security protection measures (sensitive information encryption, authority management, etc.) to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, and modification, public disclosure, and damage or loss.
3. In the event of a personal information security incident, CNGBdb will promptly contact you by email, via CNGBdb@cngb.org, in accordance with the requirements of laws and regulations, and inform you about the overall situation and possible impact of the incident, measures that CNGBdb has taken or will take to address the situation, suggestions for you to prevent the loss and reduce the risk, and remedial measures to be taken, etc. When it is difficult to inform users one by one, we will release an announcement in a reasonable and effective manner. We will also comply with the requirements and report the incident handling to regulatory authorities.
1. CNGBdb will not publicly disclose your personal information to any third party, except in cases specified below:
1) If disclosure of your personal information is necessary according to applicable laws and regulations;
2) If sharing and publicly disclosure of your personal information is mandatory according to regulatory authorities;
3) If you need to disclose your specified personal information in a manner that you agree to.
2. We only disclose your personal information in accordance with this Policy to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations. Unless you agree otherwise or otherwise specified in this Policy, we will not provide, sell or rent your personal information to any unrelated third parties.
1. To ensure the normal operation, CNGBdb stores small data files(cookies) on computers or mobile devices. A cookie is a plain text file stored on a computer or mobile device by a web server. The content of a cookie can only be retrieved or read by the server that created it. Each cookie is unique to your web browser or mobile application. Cookies usually contain identifiers, site names, and some numbers and characters. With the help of cookies, websites can store user preferences and related data to improve user experience in following cases:
1) With the help of cookies, the website can save settings, such as computer or mobile device language, font size and other browsing preferences. This means that users do not need to reconfigure user preferences every time they visit.
3. You can manage or delete cookies according to your preferences, see AboutCookies.org for details. You can clear all cookies saved on your computer, and most web browsers have a cookie blocking function. But if you do this, you need to change the user settings each time you visit our website. To learn more about how to change your browser settings, please visit the following link:
In accordance with relevant China's laws and regulations, scientific research norms, ethical principles, and common practices in other countries and regions, CNGBdb strives to ensure your following rights with respect to your personal information:
1. Access / correct your personal information
You have the right to access/correct your personal account information at any time, except as otherwise required by laws and regulations.
If you wish to access/correct your name, gender, birthday, introduction, personal homepage, working organization, research field, academic title, email address, etc. in your account, you can visit the following URL:
If you are unable to access the above links, you can always contact our administrator CNGBdb@genomics.cn and we will process it as soon as possible.
2. Delete your personal information
In the following circumstances, you can request CNGBdb to delete your personal information:
1) If CNGBdb's handling of personal information violates applicable laws and regulations;
2) If CNGBdb collects and uses your personal information without your consent;
3) If CNGBdb's handling of personal information violates the agreement with you;
4) If you no longer use our products or services, or you cancel your account;
5) If CNGBdb no longer provides services to you.
3. Delete your account
You can delete your registered account at any time, you can email CNGBdb@cngb.org to delete the account. After you delete your account, CNGBdb will stop providing you with products or services, your personal information will be deleted, and your account will not be restored, unless it is otherwise provided by laws and regulations. It is recommended that you make a backup.
4. Respond to your above requests
To ensure safety, you may need to provide a written request or prove your identity in other ways. CNGBdb may require you to verify your identity before processing your request. CNGBdb will generally reply within 7 working days. If you are not satisfied with this, you can lodge a complaint by emailing to CNGBdb@cngb.org.
In the following situations, CNGBdb will not be able to respond to your request:
1) Where the request is related to CNGBdb's fulfillment of obligations stipulated by laws and regulations;
2) Where the request is directly related to national security and national defense security;
3) Where the request is directly related to public safety, public health, and major public interests;
4) Where the request is directly related to criminal investigation, prosecution, trial and execution of judgments;
5) Where there is sufficient evidence from CNGBdb that the user has subjective malice or abuse of rights;
6) Where refusing the request is to protect the life, property and other major legal rights of users or other individuals, while it is difficult to obtain other individual’s authorization and consent;
7) Where responding to the user's request will cause serious damage to the legitimate rights and interests of the user or other individuals or organizations;
8) Where the request involves trade secrets.
In principle, personal information collected by CNGBdb will be stored within the territorial scope of People's Republic of China.
1. The data services provided by CNGBdb are mainly for adult scientific researchers. Minors are not allowed to create their own user accounts without the consent of their parents or guardians. If minors provide personal information with the consent of their parents or guardians, CNGBdb will only use or disclose this information where permitted by law, by the parent’s or guardian's explicit consents, or necessary to protect the minors.
2. If minors provide us with their personal information without parental consent, their parents or guardians can contact us to stop collecting, using or disclosing their personal information.
2. You can log in to CNGBdb through a third-party platform, and you will authorize your public information registered on the third-party platform (avatar, nickname and other information authorized by you) to bind your CNGBdb account, and you can also cancel the binding relationship of the third-party platform through the CNGBdb personal center.
CNGBdb's Privacy and Security Policy will be revised and updated at any time depending on the actual situation. The latest revision date will be displayed on this page.
All inquiries about your personal information, including requests to access, correct or delete your personal information, and questions or complaints about the Policy, please send a written request to China National GeneBank (CNGB) (address: Jinsha Road, Dapeng District, Shenzhen) or email to CNGBdb@cngb.org.